If a friend or family member is helping me, can I have a tenancy in a joint name?

Unfortunately, no. We can record a co worker on your tenancy agreement who is permitted to work your plot without your presence, however the contract is between yourself and the council. If you should give up you plot,  the Council may allocate the plot to an individual who has been a named co-worker with the named tenant. The Council will consider any such requests on a case by case basis and the Council’s decision is final. There is no charge to make someone a co-worker.